Law on Chemicals (Official Gazette of RM No.113/07) Adopted in 2007.
This is a framework act that sets the general basis for chemical management concerning the following topics:
- Testing, assessment and classification of chemicals;
- New substances notification;
- Risk assessment and risk management of chemicals;
- Classification of chemicals;
- Notification of chemicals;
- Market authorization of biocides and detergents;
- Control of production; and
- Inspection of chemicals.
- Rulebook on the conditions that legal persons producing hazardous chemicals have to fulfill concerning space, equipment and staff (OG of the RM no. 132/2008);
- Rulebook on trade with hazardous chemicals (OG of the RM no. 132/2008).
- Rulebook on the manner of classification and labelling of hazardous chemicals (OG of the RM no. 87/2009)
- Rulebook on classification and labelling of hazardous chemicals (OG of the RM no. 85/2009)
Law on Environment adopted in 2005 (Official Gazette of RM, No. 53/05, 81/05, 24/07)
Addresses all environmental issues, which could be found in a modern European Environmental Protection Act. It sets the main principles, while legal and technical details are elaborated in the secondary legislation.
- Prohibition of production, trade and use of certain products, semi finished products, raw materials, substances and performance of certain activities and services for the purpose of environmental protection and restriction and control of export and import of certain substances and products;
- Environmental impact assessment;
- Environmental information system;
- Integrated environmental permits for operation of installations with environmental impact;
- Prevention and control of major accidents involving hazardous substances.
- Ordinance on the Prohibition of Production, Trade and Use of Detergents Containing Phosphorus (in organic or inorganic form) more than 0,5 % by weight
- Ordinance on the prohibition of import of used refrigerators, freezers and other cooling and freezing devices and import of ODS’s
- Rulebook on the content of the Internal and External Emergency Plans, as well as the manner of their approval (OG of the RM No. 50/09)
Law on Precursors (Official Gazette of RM, No. 53/05, 81/05, 24/07)
The aim of this law is to establish a system for monitoring and control of the precursor’s production and trade in order to prevent the precursor’s application for illegal production of narcotics and psychotropic substances, as well as to protect the human health and environment from the precursor’s adverse effects.
- Rulebook on the data to be contained in the annual report of the operators that trade in precursors;
- Rulebook on the form, content and manner of issuance of the application of pre-import informing;
- Rulebook on the content of the applications for import/export/transit/transport of precursors and permits for import/export/transit/transport of precursors;
- Rulebook on the content of the application for precursor trade, content of the trade approval, and manner of issuance of trade approvals.
- Rulebook on the form and content of the declaration on precursors application.
- List of countries requiring to be pre-informed about the import of precursors from the Republic of Macedonia to their territory.
Law on Ambient Air Quality (Official Gazette of the R.M No, 92/07)
Regulates the conditions, measures and manner of organization and implementation of air protection and quality improvement. It also regulates: air quality limit values, including emission limit value and limit values for pollutants in fuel; monitoring and establishment of a monitoring information system, including an inventory of air polluters; and management of air quality, measures for air pollution against potential disasters.
- Rulebook on the maximum allowed concentrations and quantities for other hazardous substances released in the air from various sources of pollution(OG OF THE RM 02/90)
- Decree on the limited values for polluting substances levels and types and alert thresholds, deadlines for achieving values, margins and marginal value tolerance, target values and long term objectives (OG of the RM 50/05)
- Rulebook on the methodology of inventorying and identification of emission levels of polluting substances into the atmosphere (tons/year) for all types of activities, as well as other data to be submitted to the EMEP (OG of the RM No.142/07)
- Rulebook on the methodology for monitoring and verification of hazardous substances in the air (OG of the RM No.9/1976)
Law on waters (Official Gazette of the R.M. No. 4/98, 19/00, 42/05, 87/08)
Provides the legal basis for water quality and management, although it is not based on the concept of integrated water management. In addition a wide range of laws, decrees and rulebooks regulate specific aspects of water management, water classification, water quality, drinking water, water protection, prevention of pollution at source, emissions control, water extraction, storage and handling of substances endangering or potentially endangering waters.
- Decree for classification of waters (OG of the RM No.18/99)
Law on Waste Management (Official Gazette of the R.M 68/04, 71/04, 107/07 and 143/08)
The law, administered by MoEPP, sets out requirements for prevention and reduction of waste generation, use of recycled waste materials, sustainable development through protection and preservation of natural resources and prevention of harmful impact on the environment, life and human health, disposal of waste in an environmentally sound manner and a high level of protection of the environment, animal and human health.
- Regulation on Management of Hazardous Waste (Official Gazette No.15/08)
- Regulation on criteria for treatment and handling with Wastes (Official Gazette No.8/08)
- Regulation on Landfills (Official Gazette No.156/07)
- Regulation and criteria for handling of medical waste (Official Gazette No.146/07);
- Regulation on criteria and conditions for handling, storage and disposal of PCBs (Official Gazette of the R.M No.48/07);
- Regulation on Waste Oils Management (Official Gazette of the R.M.No.156/07);
- Regulation on ELVs; and
- Regulation on WEEEs.
Law on transportation of hazardous substances by railway and inland transport (Official Gazette 92/07)
The Law prescribes the manner and conditions of transport of hazardous substances, conditions that have to be met related to packaging and means of transportation as well as entities involved in the process of transportation of hazardous substances, appointment of a safety advisor, training of persons involved in the transport of HS, responsibilities of the government institutions and supervision over the Law enforcement.
Law on prohibition of the development, production, stockpiling and use of chemical weapons (Official Gazette No.71/06)
Regulates all the obligations, prohibitions and limitations resulting from the Convention for the prohibition of the development, production, stockpiling and use of chemical weapons (Law on Ratification of the Convention, Official Gazette of the RM No. 23/97).
Law on Plant Health (Official Gazette of RM No.29/05)
Refers to the plant health, the measures and obligations to be undertaken in respect of pests that affect the plants, the food, prevention of pest introduction into the country, measures for their suppression, biological treatment for plant protection, access and exchange of information and IT system, competencies of the governing bodies, authorized services and institutions in the field of plant protection and other issues related to the plant health.
General objectives of this Law are: protection of plants and food products made out of them from harmful organisms, prevention of introduction and spread of harmful organisms and enabling efficient eradication by application of measures for protection of plants, food products and other objects and facilities, detection and identification of harmful organisms, enabling efficient crop production and trade of food products, environment protection trough monitoring of harmful organisms and introduction of biological control, integrated pest management and conducting timely monitoring and forecast, permanent monitoring of plant health and enabling adequate information and education for the public about the plant protection.
In the final phase of adoption.
Law on plant protection products (Official Gazette of R.M No.110 /07)
The Law is in compliance with the Directive 91/414EC. It regulates approval, marketing, application and control of plant protection products, than market and control of active substances that are plant protection products, maximum level of residues, plant protection equipment, exchange of information related to plant protection products, record on legal and physical entities engaged in production and distribution of plant protection products, conditions for authorization of institutions engaged in enforcement, monitoring and control of this Law. Besides the articles in this Law, the production and marketing of raw materials for plant protection products, the Good Laboratory Practice (GLP), the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent (PIC) for certain hazardous substances and pesticides in the international trade, classification, packaging and labeling are addressed in the regulations for hazardous substances and products.
If not otherwise agreed, the out-of-date plant protection products and the empty packaging treatment are regulated by the legislative from the field of environmental protection.
Transport of active substances and plant protection products is regulated by the legislation for transport of hazardous substances.
- Regulation on the criteria of the Book of Rules for granting licenses for trading in plant protection substances (Official Gazette of R. M. No. 65/01 and No. 99/03);
- Rulebook on the conditions to be met by legal entities concerning the equipment, instruments and structures used for testing plant protection substances (Official Gazette of R. M. No. 54/01);
- Rulebook on the conditions to be met by legal entities concerning the equipment, instruments and structures used for production, wholesale and retail, of plant protection chemicals and the content and way of reporting on these activities (Official Gazette of R. M. No. 54/01);
- Rulebook on the method of declaring plant protection chemicals prior to trade and use (Official Gazette of R. M. No. 54/01);
- List of chemicals for plant protection permitted for application.
Law on Fertilizers (Official Gazette of R.M. 110/07)
Regulates the conditions for production, marketing, import, application of fertilizers, types of fertilizers, identification, determination of quality and composition, sampling methods, packaging, labelling, analyses, declaration, monitoring, registration and other issues related to fertilizers.
Besides the articles in this Law, the marketing and application of fertilizers that contain hazardous substances is addressed in the regulations for chemicals (Law on Chemicals).
If not otherwise agreed, the out-of-date plant protection products and empty packaging treatment are regulated by the environment protection legislation.
If fertilizers contain plant protection agents, their production, marketing import and application shall be regulated by the Law on Plant Protection Products.
- Rulebook on inorganic fertilizers 96/09
- Rulebook on the procedure and documentation for evidence and content of evidence on imported fertilizers 96/09
Law on Agricultural inspection (Official Gazette of the RM No. 38/04) is in force since 2004
This Law prescribe the manner of organization, responsibilities, authorisation and operating of the agricultural inspection.
Law on Food Safety and Products and Materials in Contact with Food (OG 54/02 and 84/07)
This basic legal act regulates the conditions for providing food safety and safety of the products and materials in contact with food, in the process of production and marketing, the rights and obligations of natural and legal entities in order to protect the human health, to protect the consumers from inaccuracy and deception and to provide free circulation of goods in the internal and external market, partially compliant with the EU acquis.
- Rulebook on the labelling of food stuffs (OG 118/05),
- Rulebook on the special safety requirements for infant milk-based foodstuffs (OG 118/05),
- Rulebook on examination methods and issuance of certificates for acquired basic knowledge in the area of food hygiene and environment protection (OG 118/05), Rulebook on general hygiene requirements of food safety (OG 118/05),
- Rulebook on foodstuffs additives which can be used in food production (OG 118/05),
- Rulebook on the requirements for cereal-based foodstuffs and baby foodstuffs for infants and young children (OG 32/06),
- Rulebook on the quality of fruit juices and other similar products (OG 32/06),
- Rulebook on the safety of natural mineral water (OG 32/06),
- Rulebook on the special requirements for quickly frozen products (OG 32/06), Rulebook on sanitary and hygiene conditions for food production (OG 32/06),
- Rulebook on the special requirements for cocoa and chocolate products (OG 32/06),
- Rulebook on the special requirements regarding the safety of sugar (OG 32/06),
- Rulebook on the types of foodstuffs intended for special nutritional uses and permitted levels of daily intake of vitamins and minerals (OG 3/2007),
- Rulebook on the manner of issuance of approvals and required documentation for production of food for special nutritional purposes and novel food (OG 3/2007),
- Rulebook for the special requirements on safety of coffee and chicory extracts (OG 3/2007),
- Rulebook on the special requirements on safety of fruit jams, marmalades and sweet osseous (OG 3/2007).
Law on storage and protection of flammable liquids (OG of the RM 51/88, 19/90, 12/93 66/07)
Regulates the manner of storage of flammable liquids and gasses; storage, processing and transport of flammable liquids and gasses by pipelines in order to protect human life and health, environment and material goods.
Law on protection of explosive materials (OG of the RM No.10/78, 51/88, 36/90/12/93, 66/07, 84/08)
Regulates the manner of storage of explosive materials; storage, production, trade, application and transport of explosive materials in order to protect human life and health, environment and material goods.
Law on trade with explosive materials (OG of the RM No.6/89, 51/91, 12/93, 66/07, 86/08)
Regulates the manner of trade with explosive materials in order to protect human life and health, environment and material goods.
- List of explosive materials that could be sold on the market